Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) varies between patients, and the remedy that works for your friend might not work for you. If you've struggled to find a conventional IBS remedy that satisfactorily alleviates your symptoms, you may want to consider trying an herbal remedy. These three herbs show promise for alleviating the stomach discomfort, diarrhea, and constipation associated with IBS.
Peppermint has long been known for its stomach-soothing qualities. It also helps relax your mind and reduce feelings of stress, which is helpful particularly if your IBS may be stress-related. There are a few ways to take advantage of peppermint as an IBS treatment:
- Brew a cup of peppermint tea by pouring boiling water over some fresh peppermint leaves. Let the tea steep for 10 minutes before straining out the leaves and sipping.
- Mix 2 - 3 drops of peppermint essential oil with an equivalent amount of olive oil. Rub this mixture over your sore mid-section.
- Thinly chop some peppermint leaves and add them to your salad or smoothie.
Ginger is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it useful for treating IBS symptoms since many cases of IBS involve gut inflammation. Ginger comes in many forms; here are some ways to use it for IBS treatment.
- Swallow some ginger capsules according to the instructions on the supplement package.
- Make a cup of ginger tea by pouring boiling water over some sliced ginger and steeping for 10 minutes.
- Slowly eat a piece of candied ginger.
Chamomile has been used for thousands of years as a remedy for nausea, inflammation and other ailments. Its ability to calm and soothe while also alleviating muscle spasms makes it a great choice for IBS treatment. While sipping chamomile tea might be the simplest way to utilize this remedy, you can also try diluting 2 drops of chamomile essential oil in a glass of water and drinking that mixture. Whether you buy chamomile tea or chamomile oil, make sure you're purchasing from a reputable company. There are many different forms of chamomile, some of which are more potent than others, so you want to buy from a company that uses the highest-quality herbs.
All three of these herbs are easy to find and safe to enjoy. Try one, and if the effects are not what you'd like, move on to trying the next one. Some patients also find that a combination of two or three of these herbs is most effective in alleviating their symptoms.Share